WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps that fit over your tooth to protect it and restore its natural appearance. The dentist may recommend a crown if your tooth is damaged, severely worn down, or discolored. Dental crowns can also hold together a cracked tooth. They are made of porcelain, a material that is durable and stain-resistant, making them ideal for repairing teeth that are visible when you smile.request an appointment
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PORCELAIN DENTAL CROWNS?
- Porcelain crowns are a great option for those with teeth that have suffered decay or trauma.
- They fit perfectly over the teeth, which prevents any shifting or loosening over time.
- Porcelain crowns can be customized to match the color and texture of the natural teeth, keeping them under disguise.
- They offer excellent durability and strength.
WHEN ARE PORCELAIN CROWNS USED?
Porcelain crowns are used to restore a tooth that has been damaged, severely worn out, or decayed. The crown fits over the top portion of the affected tooth and is used to restore the shape, size, strength, and appearance of the tooth. Porcelain crowns can also be used to hold dental bridges in place or as part of dental implants.
HOW ARE CROWNS PLACED?
During your consultation, the dentist will conduct an initial diagnosis and understand your candidacy for crowns. They will then remove a small amount of enamel from the tooth to accommodate the crown. Next, we take precise digital scans of your mouth and teeth to assess the size and shape of the tooth that requires the crown.
The digital scan models will be sent to a dental laboratory, where the crown is fabricated from dental-grade ceramic. Once it is ready, the dentist will place it on the tooth and check for a perfect fit. If any changes are needed, the dentist will make them and bond the crown to the tooth using dental adhesives.
WHAT ARE DENTAL BRIDGES?
Dental bridges are dental prosthetics used to replace missing teeth. They are a series of artificial teeth and dental crowns used to fill the gaps left by missing teeth. The dental bridge is secured by placing crowns on the teeth on either side of the gap, essentially “bridging” the opening left by the missing tooth.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BRIDGES?
- Unlike dentures, bridges are permanently cemented in place, making them highly stable.
- A bridge helps to preserve your remaining teeth, as it prevents the drifting of teeth.
- Bridges help to provide a natural smile, as they can be customized to mimic the appearance of your natural teeth perfectly.
- The procedure for placing bridges can be finished in just two visits to our dental practice.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN A BRIDGE PLACEMENT PROCEDURE?
A custom bridge procedure is usually performed with the patient under local anesthesia. The teeth on either side of the gap are prepared for crowns by removing a thin layer of enamel. Then, a mold of your teeth is made using digital scans, based on which the bridge is created. The bridge consists of two crowns that cover the teeth on either side of a gap, with a false tooth or teeth in between.
Dr. Engle is a native Arlington resident with over 30 years of experience in the dentistry field. He is experienced in designing and placing custom crowns and bridges and gives his patients the best care possible in a comfortable environment.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Arlington Family Dental Care, call (817) 274-8439 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit Dentist in Arlington TX at 2621 Matlock Road, Suite 103, Arlington, TX 76015.