Endodontics deals with the pathology of the dental pulp and root tissues of the tooth. Root canal therapy is the most common endodontic procedure, which is usually done to repair and save a tooth that is badly decayed or infected. The pulp of the tooth, which is composed of nerves and blood vessels, needs root canal therapy when it gets infected or damaged. The procedure is straightforward and not painful at all.
Dr. Engle is a native Arlington resident with over 30 years of experience in the dentistry field. He has performed this procedure numerous times and gives his patients the best care possible in a comfortable environment.request an appointment
HOW DOES A ROOT CANAL INFECTION DEVELOP?
Bacteria begin to multiply when the pulp gets damaged and breaks down the pulp chamber. These bacteria can cause an infection or abscessed tooth, i.e., a tooth filled with pus pockets that form at the end of a tooth’s root. This can lead to:
- Swelling that may proliferate to other areas of the face, neck, or head
- Bone loss around the tip of the root
- Drainage problems that expand outward from the root.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A ROOT CANAL INFECTION?
Some symptoms that denote root canal therapy is necessary are:
- Unbearable toothache
- Pain while chewing or biting
- Very high sensitivity to heat and cold
- Prolonged bad breath
- Bulging of lymph nodes on the gums near the infected tooth
- Discoloration of the decayed tooth significantly more than the adjoining teeth
- Loosening of the tooth from its socket
- Formation of an abscess
WHAT DOES THE PROCEDURE ENTAIL?
During the root canal procedure, our dentist will remove all underlying infections. This will be done using dental files of varying sizes and a jet of water. Next, the dentist will fill the root canal so that further infections don’t reoccur. After that, your tooth will be capped with a dental crown that looks and functions like a real tooth.
In the beginning, the tooth may feel sensitive due to natural tissue inflammation. However, any discomfort or pain can be relieved with the prescribed pain medication. In addition, you should schedule regular consultations with our dentist at predetermined intervals and maintain your oral care routine by brushing and flossing regularly.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ROOT CANAL THERAPY?
The benefits of root canal therapy include:
- The procedure seals out infection
- It prevents failure of the tooth due to cracking or loosening
- It is a better permanent solution to infected teeth as compared to fillings
To find out more about the dental services offered at Arlington Family Dental Care, call (817) 274-8439 or schedule a consultation online. You can also visit Dentist in Arlington TX at 2621 Matlock Road, Suite 103, Arlington, TX 76015.